Thursday, February 25, 2010

majun: adventures of the underpass

What better way to have a first real photo shoot than to have a trusted friend as a model? So I took the opportunity for a pre-flight meet up with Miss Ma to end with a photo shoot. I didn't really have anything in mind, only vague visions of catch lights in the eyes, pretty bokeh, and great lighting. So terms of an objective I really could have done better. Here are the photos:

Things started off slowly, since I didn't really know where to start, and how. Neither did Majun, so we began with more talk than photographs. Still, I got her to laugh a little. Initially, I was going for a contemplative mood, but obviously being the happy person Majun is, I didn't get the chance to reveal that side of her.




So, we spent a great part of the shoot at this underpass, where I saw great light coming down, as well as a wind at the entrances at the tunnel. So I got her to throw her hair around for about an hour or two. Kudos to her for not complaining.




Learning points:
  • Always have what you really want in mind. Be specific.
  • Things may not always go as planned, be flexible.
  • At any point, make sure you know where the nearest toilet is.
  • Edit ruthlessly.
To the last point, I ended the shoot with 135 photos. But for the sake of quality, I painfully whittled it down to these 6 which I actually can accept. It can be demoralising, to have so many of my own photos being rejected, never to see the light of day. But I know it will be worth it...

No comments: